Tuesday 9 April 2013

Make of the month- Skater Skirt

I am going to start  putting things that I have made onto my blog monthly to give you inspiration and to adapt what I have made to suit you. This month I will put 2 makes on in separate posts. For this entry, I would like to show you my black and white polka dot skirt that I have made from a pattern. In England, the 60's fashion trends are coming back for a vintage feel and our shops are currently filled with monochrome patterns (such as black and white vertical stripes). This era was more fun and daring than the previous decades in fashion. Something that was exaggerated in London Fashion week is the thought that everyone would be wearing skater skirts this year and they are already starting to emerge on the clothing rails in our favourite high street stores.
My outfit


Coral coloured lipstick brightens up an outfit
The reason I made this skirt, however, is because I was shopping in River Island with my mum when I showed her a skater skirt that I thought looked really nice. I told her about how it was coming into trend yet instead letting me try it on, she looked at the seams and suggested that I made one myself. I had made a couple of items of clothing in the past but this was the most excited I had ever got about making clothes. 5 days later and I am typing this scene whilst sitting in the very skirt that I was excited about making.

Strips of material can be used to make a hairband
The skirt is very simple, yet with this material, bright or eye catching. It is very easy to dress up or down and with it you could wear either pastels and neutrals or bright colours. It wasn't that hard to make either. As a relatively new dress maker, it was more time consuming for me as I had to tack certain parts before sewing. The top I have put it with and the way I have tucked it in gives a slight 50's feel to the look (which is good for me as I love the 50's style). The head band I put in my hair is literally the bottom of the skirt. I had to cut it down to make the bottom of it even so randomly I tied it to my head...and I kind of liked it. The make up I put with it was designed to liven the whole look up a bit yet keeping to the 50's style what with the black eye liner.

Vest- Primark £2.50
Top- Primark £5.00
Bracelet- Primark £2.50 (1 of 8)
Lipstick- MUA lipstick -nectar shade 16 Superdrug £1.00
Eyeliner- Rimmel Scandaleyes waterproof  kohl eyeliner in black- 001 Boots £3.99
Earrings- H&M £2 (1 of 12 pairs)

No comments:

Post a Comment