Thursday 4 April 2013

Bruno Mars' Unorthodox Jukebox


Bruno Mars' most recent album is Unorthodox jukebox. My reactions when hearing the songs for the first time were that the songs were very different to his last album. Despite this, I could still hear similarities in the songs which would define Mars' 'style'. This would possibly be songs with a strong beat with not an extensively long intro. The texture and instruments used vary throughout each track which at times can make the music seem quite stop-start. This is intensified as silence or pauses are experimented with occasionally. This keeps each song interesting as, with Locked Out of Heaven for example, instead of listening to the lyrics of the song, I will in fact be listening to the drumbeat of the... unusual vocals in the background of parts of the song. However, I often find myself chanting along to that bit.

I find the tracks on this album quite heavy which is the opposite of what people would generally listen to coming up to this time of year, but with exams coming up, I think that this CD could be a great way to relax, and if you can concentrate with music on, then to work to as well. Personally, I think that this album is suitable for many situations perhaps apart from kids parties perhaps.  My reasoning is that Unorthodox Jukebox has a few swear words and the topics of the songs could be regarded as rude. I generally don't like this in songs yet this album seems to be an exception.

Throughout the CD, you hear many different genres of music, you could easily dance to Treasure, When I Was Your Man is stripped back and is a sincere yet undeniably sweet track. If I am totally honest, Show Me constantly reminds me of Hawaii (and doing the wave motions to the side with my arms) which is where he lived before becoming an international star.

I love this album so much! It has taken permanent residence in my CD player and I doubt that it will be moving any time soon. I would give this album a score of 8.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment